Friday, January 20, 2012

Interview BakeSale: Richard Hofmeier




1) Why and how did you join the AGS Bake Sale ?


It seemed like a good fit, since the Adventure Game Studio is becoming such a popular tool for creating both turn-based RPGs and games with robots. Getting included was a matter of first making the game, and then pitching it to Ponch and Ben.

2) Talk a bit about your game (what is it about, how you came up with it).

I found an old Tiamat Entertainment Console at an after-dark garage sale in Seattle's Chinatown District about two years ago. It came with one controller and a cartridge for 미리보기 동영상 및 이미지 (Red Volition), which is kind of a rock-em sock-em robots RPG. Since I first played it, I've been studying how to port it to PC since Tiamat consoles are so hard to find these days (I've tried and failed to find any of their other games). As far as I know, the developers won't mind; they've most likely been out of business for at least two decades.

This version of the game is not a perfect port by any means, but I think players of the original, Korean version will find it to be a useful substitute. An important difference is that this port is graced with unbelievably sharp new music by RushJet1 (http://nsf.4x86.com/ ).

3) Tell us a bit about yourself and how you got yourself into game making in the first place.

It's my favorite subject, but I'm afraid there's just not much to say. I've still got a lot to learn about producing these things and, for that reason, I've found AGS to be helpful. The community, forums, and manual have all been helpful in assembling this game and, for that matter, each of the others I've made (they're all here: http://www.richardhofmeier.com ).

Cheers! Hope you're well.

2 comments:

  1. There's a tiny trailer here (although the VHS sync is a little off):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6lY7INf5s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I absolutely forgot about that trailer. I've updated accordingly.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments clean: foul language means your comment will not get published. Sorry for the captcha, was getting to much spam.